Vitamin c and salt

Hi

I have chronic Lyme didease. I Have started Vitamin C (3x 1000mg) and a teaspoon of salt 4 times a day, have already had a reduction of pain

refer web site www://lymephotos.com/ Are These Things crawling Through Your Body

I am a little surprised that no one has responded to this yet. The American Heart Association recommends 1500mg of sodium or less per day in healthy people. Some others with various health conditions may require less sodum or no sodium at all in their diets. A single teaspoon of table salt contains 2325mg of sodium. 4 tsp of table salt has 9300mg of sodium! This is in addition to a regular diet where the average American consumes 3400mg per day. That is a LOt of salt. 12,700mg of sodium to be exact. In a world where most developed countries are struggling with obesity and heart disease, nearly 13,000 mg of sodium per day is a horrible idea. Please do not try this.

There are also risks associated with "mega-dosing" vitamins and supplements. The term "mega-dosing" is just what it sounds like: taking larger than recommended doses of vitamins. I think, for a time, that mega dosing vitamin C was considered safe, as most of the excess is excreted by the kidneys. However, that is not the case. There are reported side effects: nausea, vomiting, heartburn, abdominal cramping, and headaches. It can also increase the risk of developing kidney stones, cause sevre diarrhea, nausea and gastritis at doses greater than 2000mg per day. The body can only store around 250mg of vitamin C per day. The rest is just expensive urine with increased health risks. Mega dosing C can also interfere with the body's ability to absorb B12 obtained from foods, and there are known adverse effects when combined with some prescription medications. again, please don't do this either.

There are many reasons to supplement the nutrients obtained from foods. Often, we don't eat what we should and a comprehensive multivitamin can be helpful. however, the best way to take care of your body is the same as it has always been: a varied diet filled with lean proteins, fresh fruits and vegetables, and an active lifestyle.

Also, the site listed above has absolutely no research on this "treatment protocol". It simply contains anecdotal history about salt consumption throughout history (with no citations) and a bunch of scary parasite slides.

Jacki, I just read your profile. I am not sure what type of test you had, but if you were never in an area where lyme disease is prevalent, I think there is reason to be skeptical about a positive result on a lyme test. You may have an entirely different health condition. Please get a second opinion.

You're right, Grumpy. I'm always suspicious of information that comes from a dot.com site: they're in it to sell something!

GrumpyCat said:

Also, the site listed above has absolutely no research on this "treatment protocol". It simply contains anecdotal history about salt consumption throughout history (with no citations) and a bunch of scary parasite slides.