New member, old patient, still scared

I’ve had Lyme disease since I was really little but wasn’t diagnosed for 3 years. In sixth grade I was finally diagnosed and put on antibiotics. Within a year, the doctors said it was inactive. I was left with slight memory problems, arthritis, and a slight speech issue. Now I’m a junior in high school and I’m starting to notice some problems getting worse, mainly neurological problems. I went from occasionally slurring words to having trouble putting a sentence together. I thought I was scared before. Now, I feel alone because I don’t know anybody who has Lyme disease and I’m not able to go to the doctor.

Sorry to hear this Ash, but do know that you are not alone. If you really can’t go

to see a doctor, do some research on line. You might find a few things you can

do that will help some. Sending hugs!

Where are you at Ash? Maybe I can help you locate a doc or give you some ideas and contact folks where you are at.

OR is there another reason you can’t go?

I’m in Galesburg, IL.
Every time I try to tell my dad something is wrong he calls me a hypochondriac, even when my knee was swollen and I was later diagnosed with Lyme disease. I’m still a minor so I can’t go to the doctor’s on my own.

Sorry I’ve been away. You seem to be pretty bright even at 16. Dads are tough to deal with sometimes (I have 10 kids) Its sort of the old skinned hand thing “grind” it in the dirt and move on."
Hes right that is the most IMPORTANT thing you can do with PTLDS is to keep moving forwsrd. Almost everyone gets better in time or with some help. WHAT DOES NOT WORK is treating what you are experiencing now as Lyme. Its not. Its worse. and while autoimmune insult like you have had eventually self corrects if you don’t add to the problem with doses after dose of antibiotics.

Sometimes you need some help by a rheumatologist who can deal those issues. The other option is to have a girl talk with mom. Some of the joint issues you are having could be because you are 16. A gyno can help.

Other folks you can talk to that don’t care how old you are is your school counselor who has a list of folks that can help a frank discussion with your school nurse and depending on your own moral base, there are some great provdors at Planned parent hood who can either get you help or give you help. The other person I would see immediately is you School trainer or Physical therapist in the special needs office.

Grant your dad one thing before you try the ultimate big eyes and pouty bottom lip that melts any dads heart, and that is to remember what doesn’t move rusts. Pushing you and downplaying your illness is really a Dads way of helping.

Those of us who have fought this and other diseases know that. We deny it, we don’t like it, it hurts its hard, but we know it must be done.