Kicked out of school

I have had Lyme for 18 years and am having a hard time attending beauty school. Today they called me and told me that I have missed to many hours and will not be able to complete the program that I paid $9,000 dollars for and will not receive a refund. I am physically incapable of attending school on some days but am there as often as I can. Is there something I can do to fight this? I am already fighting for myself and my well being now I have to fight for my education as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brooke, I’m so sorry that you’ve had this additional challenge thrown at you. I’m not an American, so I’m afraid that my advice probably isn’t going to be all that much use. But here goes anyway:

1. Getting this news via a telephone call isn’t good enough. Make an appointment (that’s really important) with the top person at the school, or the school’s owner, to discuss your situation.

2. Bring documentation of your disease / disability along. Even a letter from your doc will be better than nothing

3. They’ve already said that you aren’t getting your money back, and it’s unlikely that they will yield on that. The truth is, you don’t WANT your money back: you want your training. (And flatter them by saying that you paid a high price because they were the best – assuming that is true.) Perhaps you can get the top person to agree to let you make up time, or continue in a future session.

4. Take someone – a parent, an older savvy friend, – with you as a support person. Sometimes it’s hard to face someone who seems to hold all the cards, all by yourself, especially when you don’t have a lot of experience with this kind of conflict resolution.

5. If this is a private school, find out what body governs them (even if it’s just the Better Business Bureau) and figure out how to use that knowledge to your advantage. Chances are they’d rather make a deal with you than have you go to some higher authority.

You go, girl. But do it in person and take a friend along!

Seenie from ModSupport

I’m sorry that you are going through this .Have you called the schools administration?What needs to happen is education on Lyme disease. My husband has it and the traditional Western medicine is ignorant. Who knows how many people are suffering and using their life savings because of the insurance industry won’t help.

I have talked to the school and they said that it is stateboards decision to not let me finish the course. Tomorrow my and my family will be going in to talk to them. Over the past several months I have brought countless doctors notes and explanations of my illness. It is all so frustrating as I have been trying so hard to stay sane with my illness and stay in school. Thank you

Perhaps the american with disabilities act?

Good for you, going in with a family member.

It was very smart of you to do that. Essentially, you have a kind of disability that they were aware of. And that’s where Raybo’s question comes in. Not being an American, I don’t know much about the ADA, but it shouldn’t be too hard for you to find out.

Seenie

I spoke with the state board and the corporate of the schools and because of my partial disability and the doctors note they legally can not kick me out. Thank you for the help.

Best news!!! Bet you’re glad that you didn’t just take your ball and go home!

There’s a lot to be learned from this. Cover yourself with notes and documentation. Know what your rights are. When things go wrong, speak to someone higher up. Go with all your facts straight, and knowing what you are going to say.

And I guess the other lesson is, don’t suffer in silence: ask around to people who might know. That’s true in most life situations.

All the best to you, Brooke.

Seenie from Modsupport

So Brooke, how are things now?

Seenie

Things are good I am finishing school in 2 days! And my health has improved drastically

What a great thing to hear! Congratulations on both counts.

Seenie