Surviving College with Lyme

Hey guys! I don’t know exactly how bad my case is but I just know it’s been sitting in my system a good ten years or so. I’m a current college student and it’s been a rough year with the new treatment. Any advice on how to survive?

Help!

Hey! I feel your pain. I was finishing my BFA with lyme (at that time undiagnosed) and am now attempting to get my masters, but am weary due to health. My best advice I can give you is to talk to your student advisor or disability support services about your condition. The more information I could provide about my health condition, the more they were willing to work with me on extending deadlines, allowing more missed time from school, and being more lenient in general. In fact, schools are required to allot their students extra time if they qualify for disability services, so it’s a great resource to check out if it’s on your campus, but inform someone nonetheless.

Other than that - pace yourself, listen to your body, be prepared for herxes by carrying the medicine you need with you. If you like the alka seltzer gold and glutathione combination for herxes, keep that with you on campus. Are you going full time? Allow yourself to switch to part-time if needed. School will always be there for you and your health is most important. Also, it might be helpful to search for lyme support groups in your area to find other lymies to support you in person. Hope some of this helps and good luck!

@turner_ju Hi! I am a college student as well. I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease in my first semester of college. It has been very hard. The only thing my college will do for me is giving me preferential seating, and extended time to get my work done. The only treatment I had was doxycycline. My symptoms did not get better. All i can say is try your best and do not give up.

Thanks for the reply Melanie! I got diagnosed this semester and since starting the medication it’s made me more fatigue and I’ve had had a loss of appetite. It’s made it difficult to get through school since I have classes early in the morning and I am full time. My school is three hours from home so I can’t commute. I’m thinking about changing schools since it’s been difficult getting to class, making friends, and completing homework. Enjoying the campus and proximity to Boston. One of my favorite cities!

Not sure where you are enrolled but student disability services should be able to provide more than you are getting. Its been a while since I was a stdent but a short time since I was the prof. The one thing I would try and get is a “note taker” not only will you get better notess, you will be better able to concentrate on the lecture.

Fatigue is a common side effect of doxy and unless you are getting better, I’d reconsider your treatment course. It will only get worse and there can be other side effects especially to your neuro functioning…