How does Lyme impact YOU?

Sometimes sharing experiences just plain feels good: knowing that others are going through similar challenges makes it all a bit easier to take. Sometimes, though, you can even help more people than just your fellow Lyme Disease sufferers by sharing. Today we had a very polite and respectful young person, Kai in NY, ask for membership so that he can do some research for a project about Lyme. Of course, we only admit patients, their families and friends here, so I had to say “no”. But maybe we can reach out to Kai and make ourselves feel good at the same time!

So here’s the question: What part of having Lyme Disease has had the biggest impact on your life?

Don’t make it long: a short “sound bite” will do. How about it?

Seenie from Moderator Support (who has Psoriatic Arthritis, so can’t add much to this discussion…;-))

Hello Kai, simply put it is a destroyer of lives, and if your not carful hope as well. It is brilliant, ruthless and without conscious. email removed by mods for safety reasons. You can direct message however
Have a nice day.

1 Like

Hello Kai. For me, Lyme Disease has obliterated my energy and sometimes my will to live. I went from being an athlete to a coach potato. The year before I contracted Lyme, I ran three 5K obstacle races and was nearing the completion of my brown belt in Krav Maga. Now, I can barely walk 1 mile.

1 Like

I can’t handle anything anymore. I’m so sensitive and overstimulated. I wake up energized, but within a few hours I feel ready to go back to bed or just watch tv/play video games. My anxiety is overwhelming and now I’m starting to feel difficult emotions that aren’t tied to reality. Like just wanting to cry all day for no reason. And I’m not an emotional guy! My esteem is very low right now and I hate to say I’ve considered suicide on my worst days. I’m only 26! Anyway, I’m hoping the steps I’m going to take soon will get rid of my lymes and hopefully I’ll partially bounce back to my old self. (Unfortunately some of the organ damage is probably permanent).

1 Like

Rafiki, you really are going through a terrible time. Deciding on a course of action and trying to feel hopeful that you will bounce back to your old self is great, but when you feel as low as you do, it is time to reach out for help with the emotional load. There is a very real connection between your emotions, how your brain works, and the state of your disease. It’s not imagined, and it’s not a sign of weakness to ask for help. (I have a chronic condition as well – not Lyme – and the connection between my state of my brain and the state of my disease is BIG.)

Where to start? Your PCP. It’s not natural for an introvert, I know, but you’re going to need to swallow hard and share your thoughts and feelings with him/her. You’re in a deep mental ditch, and you can dig as fast and as hard as you want, but that’s probably not going to get you out. You need someone to throw you a rope, and the more experience and knowledge that person has, the faster you’ll get out of there.

Hang in there, Rafiki, and hang out here.

Seenie from ModSupport

2 Likes

Where have you been Rafiki? We’ve missed you.

Drop a line when you get a chance.

Seenie

1 Like

I feel just like you. This thing called Lyme is very old, really smart. It can hide it can mimics and yes it destroys

I have been feeling just like you have for three years now. My life is a living nightmare. It’s a daily struggle just to get out of bed. I have been doing lots of research lately and it’s giving me new hope. I used to think I would not survive but the last couple of weeks I feel there’s hope. I believe we can be healed by these treatments and I am looking for a provider near me. It’s a holistic approach that heals our damaged systems one at a time with herbs and acupuncture. It’s a slow and long process but I have actually spoken with people who have made ful recoveries and one woman was sick for almost twenty years.

I was diagnosed three years ago and my life has been a living nightmare. The hardest part for me is losing my physical strength and my mental health. I went from being a very active person to a coach potato. I went from a straight A student to a student that can’t be vent finish a semester. I start taking classes and have to drop them because I can’t get out of bed. I went from a happy upbeat person to a person that cries all day long for no reason.

Ecogirl, I’m sorry you’re feeling that way. It’s horrible, isn’t it? Over
the past 4 months, I’ve been following the Cowden Lyme protocol and I did a
12 day fast where I only drank water (a fast beyond 3 days must be
medically surpervised!). I also switched to an AIP (autoimmune protocol)
diet and also a cyclic Ketogenic diet. Dr. Mercola has some good info on
Ketogenic and ThePaleoMom has good info on AIP. I’m feeling 80% better! I’m
almost like the old me now and getting better everyday. Some other
supplements I started taking were Lion’s Mane Mushroom (for brain support),
Reishi Mushroom (for mood support and immune system booster), and Chaga
Mushroom (immune system). I’m convinced that Lymes CAN be beaten. At the
very least, I can put it into permanent remission. The only fear I have is
the fact that it’s sexually transmitted. I fear that I might give it to my
wife. Also, babies can get it too… so I’m scared to have kids. Anyway, I
hope the best for you~