Complaining of Symptoms

My husband told me today he cannot stand being around me because my constant complaining of symptoms, he said it’s almost unbelievable that a person can have that much wrong with them. My feelings are hurt but is know it’s the truth. I try to hide my pain from him but then he asks what’s wrong and I say nothing. I know no one likes a negative nancy, but I guess I just wish he would empathize with me but he is incapable of that. It’s hard not to talk about how I feel when it is an everyday thing I live with. I know talking to him about it is non effective but I continue to do it. I guess I need to be an effective complainer and talk to someone who can direct me and give me guidance on dealing with symptoms.

1 Like

Here is a good place to get your feelings out without wearing out your husband, lymelady. Either that or keeping a journal. I read that keeping a journal can actually aid people with chronic pain find out their triggers and learn ways to reduce pain, and it can also make a valuable tool on those doctor's appointments.

Okay, so where is the pain? All over? or any particular location?

1 Like

Thanks Dancer mom I just got a new journal today great idea. My left arm and stomach have been hurting for a few days because I ingested gluten, and my spine hurts from prior car accidents. I do yoga poses to help with that. My chemical sensitivity causes me sore throat a lot. I have really good days I just had a bad weekend of inflammation. I think writing this in a journal is a wonderful idea. Thanks for lending an ear.

The left arm and stomach should feel better soon, so that is good news. Are you able to go to Whole Foods? The gluten-free thing is so much easier there. About the spine, have you been taken care of there? Are you supposed to be doing PT? or using a tens unit or something? Yoga sounds about right, though. For the chemical sensitivity, have you cleaned up your home environment? switched to fragrance free laundry stuff and natural shampoos etc.? clean with vinegar and baking soda instead of bleach?

I'm guessing your husband just wants to fix it all, and is frustrated because he can't.

1 Like

I will have to check for a whole foods in my area. My counselor said the same thing that he wants to fix me but can’t. I was supposed to do PT but I missed to many appts. But I have a chiropractor’. I use frangrances free laundry soap most of the time but my husband likes tide so I suffer so he can smell good lol. I actually react to vinegar and thymol based cleaners. So I usually just do soap and water. I see allergist who said I’m allergic to sulfites and dust mites. I haven’t taken care of the dust like I need to’ it adds to the problem. I will put these tips in my journal and try to work on myself. I go see a GI doctor in the morning maybe they can give me some tips on keeping inflammation down. I appreciate your advice. The cover of my journal says “Embrace the Journey” so I will try:) I hope u do too.

Dustmites is my worst one, too. I barely clean house anymore, and I used to keep it spotless. I'm trying a Claritin every day these days. But I think about it as little as possible. Keep calm and carry on, right?

About the anxiety thing, there is a lot of suffering in the process, but to break free you have to push yourself to do everything you are afraid of. And with the OCD, it is the opposite. You push yourself to resist the dictates of your brain. The world out there isn't actually scary, though it feels that way. There is nothing to fear but fear itself.

Lol keep calm and dust on, thanks for sharing your struggle with that one. :slight_smile: