Lyme disease featured on the Today show!

http://www.today.com/klgandhoda/chronic-lyme-disease-what-you-need-know-1D79878631

http://www.today.com/klgandhoda/lyme-disease-victim-it-looked-i-had-stroke-8C11410699

Thank you for sharing these SK! I read Horowitz's book (it's a beast) he very thoroughly explains the many reasons we "can't get better'. I am glad to see more press about patients as well. Perhaps real faces of real sufferers will be what gets us on the map!

Thanks Sk!!! However… I am still so frustrated about this dilemma about how to treat chronic Lymes disease. Dr Horowitz… Shown on the first video …Awesome in Lymes knowledge… But if you don’t have thousands of dollars to pay for him then your out of luck. Why do you think this is never mentioned. I have been to treatment , similar to this doctors practice and after one month of paying 7900.00 dollars for medicine that costs 500.00 if you can find a doctor to write you a script … I could no longer afford these treatments. More coverage on this should be “shouted” to the public so everyone can see the full picture here. Like everything… At least they are starting somewhere. !! Sk… You always provide us with great thought provoking information … And I thank you very much for that !!!

I am ever hopeful that any and all press about Lyme and tick borne illness will bring the CDC into the present and out of their dark age thinking and practices. I could not afford these prices either, not everyone lives in the Hamptons who gets bitten!

My GP has a background in pathology, but I do not know if even he would treat Lyme. I know it's an epidemic, and I'm in Maryland, one of the target areas.

I have also seen interviews of Darrel Hall of Hall and Oats do interviews to promote awareness, but of course nothing is mentioned of the astronomical price of treatment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoTEP9lZetY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwY26RIWSpU

Hi Adrienne and SK,

I agree the cost of treatment or seeing someone like Horowitz is price gauging. It seems like the more desperate people need the treatment the more one will be charged for it! I have noticed a lot more press about Lyme in the last two years...several celebrities have put us in the limelight...saw Debbie Gibson do an interview and Yolanda Foster as well....but these folks have the resources to pay and never mention how expensive it is. The focus is always on testing guidelines, which I think is a good thing to talk about...it is step one for all of us with the CDC, but rarely is it mentioned that people need ports and or PICC lines that cost incredible amounts of money. Hopefully insurance companies will start taking us seriously as well. Has anyone noticed that getting treatment is harder or easier based on the new healthcare reform?

The ONLY positive thing I have heard about the new healthcare is from my husband's best friend's wife who recently visited from WA state. She works at a nursing home (or what ever the proper term is these days) for the mentally disabled (not sure that is the proper term either, so please bear with me), and tells me that their coverage has improved.

Yes, I have heard Yolanda speak about Lyme, and posted a discussion about Debbie Gibson a while back, which only helps get the word out, but again, nothing is mentioned about the horrendous costs!

Hi SK,

I live in WA State...one positive thing is that Naturopathic Doctors (ND's) can now order labs, which is a good thing because my Lyme doc is an ND. Other than that everything has been the same, so at least it's not worse!!

Hi Elmo, hey that’s GREAT news! There’s been so much controversy, I’m glad to finally hear something else positive about it! I’m ever thankful I did not have to change!

LOL my auto correct on my phone changed your screen name to Elmo! Sorry, I really dislike it’s hostile take over!

LOL SK! The elmo auto-correct gave me a hearty laugh, which is a good thing! I have to recertify for healthcare this month, and if one is disabled enrollment is different...hoping it works out for the better, a little uncertain now, but definitely positives thus far...I am not getting knocked down for "pre-existing" condition.

Oh, I know, I had a good laugh over that too! If Elmo is the worst thing you're ever called, you're ahead, girlfriend! ha!

I've had quite a few today too with the 2 grandsons! What they don't come up with!

I'm gonna be in BIG trouble if I don't sleep soon! When I push myself as hard as I have today, then don't lay down when the off switch happens, I go into a 'hyper-exhaustion' state and cannot wind down. Believe me, I'm there now and its' 3:36 am, they'll be up very soon! If my phone has a good look at me, it's going to be calling me something much worse than Elmo!

Have a good one, and keep laughing!

There you go, another plus, no turn downs for pre-existing conditions! You have to give credit where it's due! A big 'hip hip hooray' on the positives!

Go Elmo!

Thank you SK; laughter is indeed the best medicine. Sounds like you are having fun with the grandkids! I enjoyed a family event this weekend...4 of my 5 siblings and all their kids. Put me in 'hyper exhaustion' too. I know exactly what you mean by that!! I hope you have gotten some sleep. lest that phone spouts out a worse-than-Elmo nickname! Hope you are well as can be.

Indeed SK, positives anywhere are a big hip-hooray! Hoping that though I don't get turned down for pre-existing that the coverage will be good...I tried to sign up with my family but with my conditions "they" need more info. Here's hoping all goes well, find out in a few weeks.

Cheers, girlfriend!

slmo