Does Being Creative Reduce Pain?

Hello all,

One of my doctors said that I need to keep my mind busy in order to alleviate pain. She suggested that I color, read, or participate in a class at the community college. I decided to try coloring and purchased a mandala coloring book. It may sound silly, but sitting to color the detailed designs does reduce stress and to a degree, pain.

Do you have a hobby or favorite activity?

That is great, yes anything that takes concentration will help!! I sing and write.

hi you mentioned bx? is it healing you or do you have to take it for life? i looked it up and learned a little!! thanks, Donna

Great idea! I think anything that brings us joy, relaxes you and directs your focus on something other than the constant pain, will reduce your feelings of pain. I love long walks with my dogs if I have the energy, a good show on tv, stretching, listening to ocean or nature sounds on Youtube, and naps of course:)

Hi Donna,

I always wished I had a singing voice but am simply not blessed with one :) Do you sing in any public place for people, at events, or just for yourself? Singing seems a soulful activity to occupy the mind and I am glad you have a talent to enjoy and share. What do you like to write? Do you write poems or journal? Thank you for the post, it is cool to get to know you more!

Great way to describe it David...I agree that a focused activity helps. Do you have a talent or something you like to do to pass the time (or what did you do before getting sick). I used to play guitar but have not picked one up for years. My left arm is compromised which makes playing that instrument difficult.

Hi Donna,

I did mention abx by which I meant antibiotics. Is that what you are asking about?

Hi Hope,

Thank you for the great reply. You and I are very similar- everything you listed I like to do as well. You make a good point that we need to do things that bring us joy. My lyme doc prescribes me "joy" every time I see her and reiterates how important it is to break the cycle of pain and illness with something good in life.

I did not play guitar well enough for an audience but did learn a lot of songs and definitely miss playing. As Donna mentioned music feeds the soul. I too need to find more joy with family- we used to go camping (which got me in to this mess as I was bit while doing so), out to the movies or travel out of state to visit family. None of that happens anymore. Perhaps we just have to find joy in the little things- spending time together or maybe playing a game. I agree that BF brings much satisfaction and I enjoy learning about others' experiences with this disease. I hope the rewards outweigh the hassles!!